Monday, June 29, 1942

JD has received letters from several people. JD says envelops will soon become scarce, so he’ll start only sending letters to his parents and wife; he tells Pascal to read those. Hoyt will be joining leaving for service in the Army May 4th. JD mentions the Life Magazine photographers again and requests that the family send him a copy when the issue comes out.


As always, feel free to comment if you can figure out what any of the blanks are supposed to say. 


Dearest Mother & All,

I received a letter from you this morning, or rather Jamie Lee it was. It had your return address on it, as they all always do. One from “Pap” & one from Guess who – Sidney Goram. I was so glad to get it. He knows as very few around there know — all about it. He wrote me a nice letter & I answered it right then. If that man ever runs for any office, he’ll get my vote. And my wife’s too if we can pay her poll tax! Tell him hello.

“Pap” still comes with his catalog every week. Bless his heart. He said he’d kinda like to get a pot shot at those slant eyes. Well “Pap” if I ever heard anyone beside you or Hoyt say that, I’d laugh at them. You know the first time anyone “over there” hears someone back home say that, they just think, “Oh yeah!” See. Well it is easy for people to say it when they’re a long ways from it, but I’m not talking about you. Just joking you. See? “Pap” I’ll not answer your letters anymore because envelopes are going to get scarce. I think for the present tho, I have plenty. You just read the ones I send to Mother & Daddy. And my wife’s too. After they’re censored… by her.

I hated to hear that Hoyt was leaving May 4th for the army. Margaret told me. Now if he should happen to have to stay, don’t fail to let me know his address immediately. Of course I know you will tho. I know that Mickey took it pretty hard, & I guess you & the rest did too. But keep your chins up. I would rather stay longer myself than see him go or Pascal either, because I’m in this army a year you might say & it goes hard on anyone like us. He’ll make it ok, tho. He’s got a good head & don’t worry about him. I’m going to write him the moment I get his address. Now I’m hoping he gets turned down. It is possible. But if he should stay, just remember & keep your chins up. I am & its hard to do in this army.

There’s not much news to tell from here. In fact there’s none. I’m doing fine as usual. I read over & over the letters I get from you back home. I look at the pictures. I was telling you about the issue of Life Magazine which would have pictures of the forces on this island. Well, when it comes out, I wish you would sent it to me. The photographers were coming here to take a picture of this tent & the R____ in the ground (if you understand what I mean) but don’t know why they haven’t. They were. Maybe so yet.

I told you a good while back that maybe your mail would be censored. I think that must be wrong. They haven’t as yet & they won’t. Write whatever you please.

I hope that everyone is doing fine. Just keep working & praying & I’ll do the same. I will come out on top. I’m doing ok. & don’t worry worry. If Hoyt should be in army, tell him when you get this that I said to keep his chin up. I’ll write to him just as soon as I get his address. I’m hoping he doesn’t stay.

This is just about all for now. I meant to tell you tho, from now on take out some of the money of my allotment & use it on the payments you make on the place. Now I know you won’t want to do it, but I want you to.

I’ll be thinking of you & looking for more mail. Tell me all the news.

Lots of love,
Your loving son,
Jay
J.D. (I.O.) Box






Comments